Sunday, October 30, 2005

Blog comments spam

Apparently no place is sacred from spam.

I've seen three "comments" recently on here that turned out to be 100 percent spam, and I don't mean that meaty sandwich stuff you get from a can. It's a little bit frustrating, and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it.

Apparently I'm not alone, though. One man suggests following these links but not buying anything there.

It's somewhat interesting to read about. I enjoyed reading this link, Spamalot as a Blogosphere Epidemic. It estimates as much as 50 percent of comments may be spam.

I have the option of turning comments off or making it so I have to approve them before they hit the Web site. I've activated the "word verification," one of those annoying things where you have to type what combination of letters you see in order to keep the bad guys out.

I'm certainly in favor of freedom of speech, but I have my doubts whether these unprovoked spam attacks really qualify as that in this little corner of the universe.

No comments: