Sunday, February 26, 2006

'Cohabitation'

For the first time in my life, I'm outwardly doing something that I know parts of the world disapproves of. (Aside from those moments when my nose is stuffed and I pick.)

I'm cohabitating with a woman.

I moved into my future wife's house over the past weekend. All my belongings are now here, and I have my own space set aside for an office in the house.

I know certain elements of society don't like the idea of cohabitation. Truth be told, I'm probably a member of that section. It rushes things along. It takes away some of the necessity of marriage.

Here's my excuse. 1. I'm already engaged to the woman. 2. We have a date set for that wedding. 3. We're very happy spending time together. 4. It's somewhat economic, as the money we're not spending on my rent and utilities is being fairly directly spent on our wedding expenses.

It also makes me wonder about something of a technicality. Does God bless your union on the day you go into His house and make it official? Or does He bless it on the day you pray to him for guidance and he gives you the nod that yes, you are intended to spend your life with this wonderful woman?

I wondered about this last point as Jessica and I waded through our pre-marriage all-day seminar. Most of the people in the room were already living together, and we didn't hear the typical "you shouldn't do that" you might expect from a Catholic wedding. Instead, we heard support, which baffled me on some levels and elated me on others.

2 comments:

Connor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Connor said...

Trinko,

(This is Chad, by the way. My son still can't type.)

I don't know the answer to your question. But, having participated in a Catholic wedding and being married to a prettty die-hard Catholic, I can tell you the blessing comes, I believe, when you ask for guidance.

In a sense, at least this is the way Toni and i felt, the ceremony is just that, a ceremony. We felt no different about our relationship on October 24, 2004 than we did October 22.