Sunday, June 04, 2006

Better things to do

Long before your rusted chains
Busted walls and barbed wire cage
Tried to hold me down
Time was just a fist of change
Tossed in the water just in case
You ever came around

I could lose myself
I could curse like hell
But I’ve lost the will to even try
If you ever doubt listen to the sound
No lies
No, no, no
This is my last goodbye.

-"Last Goodbye," Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band

This song used to represent my thoughts about very overwhelming topics in my life, such as an ex-girlfriend or a job that didn't work out so well. With those parts of my life now going quite well, it's time to use it on smaller details of my life.

There are some groups and organizations I've belonged to for as long as I could remember. I'm not sure I ever really enjoyed belonging to them, but I belonged to them for years simply because I had the year before too. I'm sure it all came down to this basic idea: I didn't have anything better to do.

Now I'm finding I have a lot of better things to do. So I'm applying some of that Kenny Wayne Shepherd genius to those aspects of my life. If you don't enjoy something or don't get any sort of value out of it, don't do it. Nothing's worth the frustration just for the sake of doing it.

I'll be curious to see how well I apply this to those frustrating parts of my life where I've wasted literally hundreds of hours for very minimal joy or gain. I'm looking forward to spending that time doing things I really enjoy, such as spending it with my new and loving family.

No comments: