Monday, December 31, 2007

Waiting in line at Wal-Mart

I was in the local Wal-Mart today, waiting in line at the express lane. The giant letters on the sign indicated it was for people with 10 items or less. Unfortunately, the woman two people in front of me apparently couldn't read, as she piled a whole cart of groceries onto the smallish table reserved for those who aren't really buying that much.

In general, I'm in favor of the limited role of government. But I'm willing to make an exception. There oughta be a law where the police can drag away people who flagrantly disregard signs like this that are designed to keep things moving. This same law should be used on people who wait until the last second to merge lane when they've closed that lane on the interstate.

Anyway, as I got to thinking about being in a busy express lane in a Wal-Mart, I recalled a funny incident from three years ago. So, for the first time in "Ramblings" history, I offer a rerun:

Sunday, January 02, 2005

In the checkout line
True story, which I found much funnier than anyone else involved: The local Wal-Mart was incredibly busy on the 31st as everyone tried to get their last-minute things for their parties. I stood in the express lane with a 12-pack of beer and a six-pack of soda in my arms. In front of me stood a couple with about 20 items they'd just put on the conveyor belt from their cart. The woman looks back at me and tells me I can set my beer in their cart while I wait. "That's OK," I responded. "I don't want you to think I can't hold my liquor."
Posted by David Trinko at 1:18 AM 0 comments

The biggest difference, this time around, is I had a bag of chicken nuggets for the 6-year-old and a box of cold medicine for my wife. Whew, I sure know how to party now.

No comments: