Sunday, September 07, 2008

Buckeyes vs. Bobcats

I took a break from our personal traumas Saturday to go to Columbus for the Ohio State vs. Ohio University football game. My wife and I got tickets to the game long before any of our Anna issues came about.
Jessica wasn't up for making the trip so far away from the hospital, so I brought Lissie instead. She had a blast. My proudest moment as a football father and a well-known cheapskate was suggesting after the halftime show that we walk around the stadium and look at the store. She said she wanted to stay in her seat and watch the game, but it was all right if I went. Obviously with a 7-year-old, I passed on that.
As for the game, I was in the awkward position of being an Ohio alum and an Ohio State fan. I tried to express that with a red and white Ohio State T-shirt and a black and green Ohio ballcap. One guy sitting next to me asked about it when he mentioned he couldn't boo OU when the Bobcats came on the field.
My answer was this: I got a degree from Ohio University, but I got a national championship in football from Ohio State.
I ended up cheering for both teams. And while I enjoyed OU holding the lead into the fourth quarter and giving the Buckeyes a good scare, I'm happy Ohio State won. I can't imagine the Buckeyes would've remained in the national championship race with a loss to a MAC team, and I don't think that one win would've propelled the Bobcats into the national title hunt, especially with the week 1 loss to Wyoming.

No comments: