Saturday, January 15, 2005

No place like home (court)

There's a certain nostalgia about where you grew up and learned about the world. For some people, it's hideous. For others, it's wonderful. For me, it's sort of like that line from the Cheers theme, "where everybody knows your name."

Tonight while visiting my hometown of Arlington, Ohio (population 1,351), my dad and I decided to go to a boys basketball game after discovering there weren't any college games on TV. We returned to the gym there, where I don't believe I've stepped foot since the last Trinko child wore a cap and gown and collected a diploma from AHS some nine years ago.

Arlington basketball isn't the same as it was when I went to school. In short, they're pretty good now. They have a following. We never had that when I was in school. The team went undefeated last year and was ranked No. 1 in the state in Division IV for a long time. Alas, most of those guys graduated.

The Red Devils topped Vanlue in the game, but that's not really the interesting part to me. I'm more surprised by the warm embrace your hometown will give you. I saw a lot of people I recognized and talked to a few. It was nice to be welcomed back and particularly nice to hear the words of people happy I'm back in the area.

It also reminded me that my little town wasn't quite as little as I recalled. I don't know any of the kids on the basketball team. I don't think I know any of their parents. I didn't recognize 75% of the people in the gym.

I'm glad we went, though. Never mind the fact it was a good game between a pair of rather physical teams. It was just nice to return someplace where I felt at home.

No comments: