Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My daughter's a genius

I hate jigsaw puzzles.
I'm just not able to look at the missing pieces and think to myself, "That one right there will make this work just fine."
I just don't think like that. I have to look at the picture on the box and try to find a piece that's very similar to the one next to it. I have to build the outside border first. I can do a lot of things, but I just can't visualize how one abstract piece fits into that bigger picture with a jigsaw puzzle.
Lissie, on the other hand, takes after her mother. They both excel at jigsaw puzzles. They rock at them. Lissie can just pick up a piece of the puzzle and instinctively guide the piece where it needs to go. She sometimes will try to put it in upside down, but she knows where it belongs, even if there's nothing else nearby.
So aside from bragging about my brilliant family, what's my point?
Lately I've been thinking a lot about the ways different people manage different situations. What I've found is most people think their way of thinking is the only way to solve a problem. They become frustrated or angry if someone else offers a solution in a way that doesn't fit their preconceived view of the world.
There's two ways you can handle that. You can become frustrated and irritable, demanding that someone else does it exactly the way you see fit.
Or you can realize that my daughter's a genius. She finds her own way to solve a problem, and I'm proud of her for that. I'll continue to support her, however she wants to try it.

No comments: