Monday, December 11, 2006

Single father

I've been a single father for about 30 hours, and I hate it.
Let me explain. My wife's out of town for a seminar in Columbus. So, while she's gone, I'm playing the role of the single father.
I can handle our 5-year-old just fine. We get along splendidly, and we've had some fun. She's finally mastered the art of playing her "War" card game, and she's got a great sense of humor.
Still, it's not the same thing as having a wife. I missed not having someone to bounce my day off of. I missed having someone who'd tell me, "You're right about that," or "Stop whining!" when I explain details of the day.
It also makes me appreciate what my wife does each day. I end up having the time to blow off steam at home and enjoy myself. I'm not seeing that same time since I'm trying to do both roles.
The real disappointment is the loneliness I feel. Aside from a few days when I went to North Carolina for work, I simply haven't been lonely since we met. I can't wait for her to get home.

No comments: