Sunday, October 31, 2004

Halloween candy



I'm rejoining the Halloween ranks.

I haven't really done anything with Halloween since high school, when I handed out the candy at my parents' house. Through college, it just wasn't an issue. In my first few jobs, I always had to work the "Beggar's Nights," as I recently heard a woman call it.

Today is Trick or Treat night in Delaware, and I have no valid excuses to avoid this community-building event. One of the guys at work mentioned he'd had his trick or treat night in his community, and they only had two children come to their home. Always the deal-seeker, I bought his remaining stock of candy, which amounted to four 10-packs of candy bars and two half-bags of suckers. Speaking of suckers, I bought all this for $5.

But then today I started thinking about the neighborhood where I live. There seem to be a number of children here. I know of at least 10 kids just in a three-building area. Another coworker told me a lot of parents just drop their kids off at one end of my street and pick them up at the other end an hour later. So I had to wonder if 30-some candy bars and a couple dozen suckers would do the trick.

So I returned to the store and got more. I'd hate to run out. I'd hate even more to have to be one of those people who gives a kid one mini-candy bar. Now I think I have too much. I'll know for sure between 6 and 8 p.m. today.

1 comment:

AJ said...

I like the premise of your blog. Hopefully the Halloween venture turned out well.