Monday, June 28, 2004

All I want is a passenger

Why do people assume there must be strings attached when you offer them something?

A couple months ago, I bought a pair of tickets to a Dave Matthews Band concert at Nissan Pavillion on July 11. I assumed when I bought them back in February that I'd either have a girlfriend or a friend who could go along with me.

At one point, I did have a buddy who was going to go with me, but his circumstances wiped out that possibility. Now I've been desperately bugging everyone nearby I know well enough to think they'd enjoy going along, getting a whole not of no's.

Here's the level of desperation I reached: I even contacted my ex-girlfriend. Anyone familiar with that situation knows how much I didn't want to do that. She responded by saying she was seeing someone else and didn't think it was a good idea to get back together.

When one includes the term "as my friend" in the request, isn't that clear enough? For a number of reasons, my intent wasn't getting back together. It was taking someone with me who I knew would enjoy the show and could probably make it. It was not bringing someone back into my life who forced me to make too many tough decisions.

So anyway... if anyone knows someone in the D.C. area who would want to go to this show, let me know. All I want is a passenger, not necessarily a life partner.

No comments: