Monday, June 21, 2004

Faking It

No, the TV show, you sicko.

I don't know exactly why, but the TV show "Faking It" on TLC (http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/fakingit/fakingit.html) is absolutely fascinating to me. Perhaps it's some deep psychological urge to be someone else. It could be that I like the challenge of trying to fit into uncomfortable situations. Maybe it's how they keep finding hotties and putting them in skimpy clothing.

The episode I caught tonight irritated me, though. "Simple Life to Social Life" brought a Nebraska farmer into the New York socialite scene. She had to pretend she was one of those "It" girls, learning the tricks of the trade. I think she was set up to fail, as her "mentor" seemed destined to get her. This guy was just mean-spirited, looking down his nose at her the whole time. His technique of breaking her seemed to be taking away any sense of confidence she had.

Anyway, the bigger thing that came to me while observing all this was that these socialites were really the ones faking it. There didn't seem to be a single bit of honesty there. Makes me wonder who would ever want to be a part of that world.

No comments: