Sunday, September 19, 2004

Corey Dillon

Corey Dillon always used to bother me. Now I understand him a little bit better.

For the non-sports folks out there, Corey Dillon was a running back with the Cincinnati Bengals for seven years. He often complained about having to play for Cincinnati, which was a genuinely horrible organization at the time.

I always thought he was just a whiner. He agreed to go there. He took their money. He should just up and do his job.

Now I understand him a little bit better.

I'm not working for the Bengals, but I end up feeling that way on a frightningly frequent basis. I caught someone copying and pasting a press release into a file and claiming it was a "staff reports" story. Twice. He still works there, but "we'll watch him more closely now."

I'm not claiming to be God's gift to journalism. But I do try to be as honest and straightforward as possible. And I actually write all of my own stories.

I'm not sure what my next step will be. I knew things here weren't great when I got here, but I felt like I was brought in to raise the level of professionalism in Sports. I'm not sure it's worth the effort it'd take, though.

This place might wear me out before I can make any substantial change. I've never thought so seriously about working at Wal-Mart in my life.

Corey Dillon went to New England in the offseason. He's rumored to be unbelievably happy to be part of a good organization, and his play has been better. Joining a winning team made him happy.

No comments: