Friday, September 10, 2004

Stress at work

I had an issue at work yesterday that genuinely frustrated me. It also reminded me that some people just deal with stress better than others.

A couple things popped up with the guy I work with. Basically what set me off is he ran an AP version of an Ohio State story today that I was planning on writing for Friday. There had been a number of other things he'd done recently to frustrate me, so I needed to address them.

I went through the list and watched him slowly self-destruct. I tried being as nice as I could while sticking to the laundry list of things that needed improvement. He started shaking a little bit. He got really quiet about things. He eventually got up, flustered, and said he needed to take a break because he didn't like getting reamed out.

I ended up calming him down, which really isn't part of my job description. But it made me realize that, as flustered as I might get sometimes, at least I'm not flipping out just over a chat about how to do the job better.

No comments: