Saturday, July 17, 2004

Anchorman

I've probably seen the commercial for "Anchorman" a hundred times now. Today I finally went to see the movie.
 
Whenever I go to a movie involving a former Saturday Night Live cast member, there's a big worry to consider: Did you see all the funny moments in the movie during the commercials? Can you piece together the clips in the commercial and end up with the movie?
 
Much to my satisfaction, Anchorman doesn't do that. Actually, those cutesy little clips you see in the commercials all seem to appear in the first 30 seconds of the movie. Then there's a whole movie after that.
 
It might not be the funniest movie ever written. It probably doesn't have as many gut-wrenching moments as its earlier Will Ferrell vehicle, "Old School," did. But it was certainly entertaining.
 
What I've noticed since I watched the movie is it's funnier the more I think back to it. There are so many good lines in it, so many good sight gags. You just don't notice them until you have time to think about it or how ridiulous they were.
 
I mean, how often do you see the TV anchors from half a dozen stations, including the PBS and Spanish-language stations, get into a bizarre street brawl? How often do you see someone throw a typewriter at someone else? How often do you hear a man talk to his dog for a while, answering every bark, then have him stop to say, "You know I don't speak Spanish"?
 
Another side-splitting scene is when the four main characters sit in an office, talking about what love is before breaking into "Afternoon Delight." If only I had a dollar for every time my cohorts and I broke into song... But ours would probably be "Swing Low, Sweet Charriot."
 
Incidentally, the absolute best character in this movie is the weather man, who claims at the beginning of the movie he might be retarded and then spends the rest of the movie proving it, right down to the point where he declares his love for a lamp.
 
Sure, this movie isn't Gone With the Wind. But it is amusing, a good way to spend a couple hours and chuckle about everything you saw.  Life needs more simple pleasures.

No comments: