Monday, July 12, 2004

In concert

Just got back from seeing the infamous Dave Matthews Band concert at Nissan Pavillion. For those who were desperately worried I'd end up going alone, Tommy from our Sports department came along with me. We had fun.

I've never been to a real concert before. I've been to music festivals and bar shows, but I've never been to a big-stage production like this. What first caught my eye was all that caught my eye. There were so many beautiful young women there who were in my age range. It was as if I'd died and gone to Athens (Ohio).

I felt like a kid in a candy store. And darn, don't I have a sweet tooth these days?

Anyway, the concert overall was fun. Most of the music seemed to be from older releases, which pleased the crowd but disappointed me a bit, since I really love the "Busted Stuff" album. Perhaps it's the disappointed, frustrated tone from an obvious lacking in a social life on that album that resonates with me.

They brought the house down with the encores tonight. I'm sorry for all the people who decided to leave when they walked off the stage... they missed the best part.

Romance filled the air as they belted out "Crush," with its lovey-dovey lyrics such as "Lying under this spell you cast on me" and "I mean to tell you all the things I've been thinking deep inside My friend With each moment I love you more."

The dueling fiddles at the end of this song was the highlight of the whole night. The band's violinist, Boyd Tinsley, is absolutely incredible. It was an atmosphere just built for love, and 5,000 couples seemed to be making out by the end of the song.

"Ants Marching" quickly popped up, sending these couples back into a foot-tapping craze instead of tapping other things for other reasons. Thus ended a potential population boom for D.C., but it left me desperately anxious to see the band again some day.

It really was a wonderful end to a wonderful week's vacation. Now it's back to the working world, with a good chance of shaking up my own snowglobe in the very near future.

No comments: