Monday, July 05, 2004

Big kids

The visit back home really hit full force today, as I had a chance to see
three branches of the expansive family tree.

Each one left me thinking the same thing... there are reasons I'd like to
return to living and working in Ohio some day.

I don't know what's more touching:

* My niece Katie practically smothered me at church this morning when her
family came into mass. She barely gave me enough room to my side to breath.

* I met my newest niece, Alexis, at her mom and dad's house. There's
nothing like holding a newborn child in the world. I can't even begin to
imagine what it's like when the child's actually yours. She woke up while I
was holding her, looked up at me and sort of gave this look like, "Yeah,
you're OK, even if I don't know you." Of course, at less than a week old.
I'm probably just a huge octagon too, although she won't learn that word
for seven or eight years.

* Her big sister, Shelby, treated me like a jungle gym for most of the
visit when I wasn't holding her little sister. Shelby's sort of married
into the family (not officially yet, but for all practical purposes she
is), but it's really nice in my family that we accept "steps" so well. She
accepts me too, to the tune of about 20 minutes worth of bucking bronco
rides, which involves me on the floor on all fours, bouncing my back up and
down while she tries to stay on. It's great fun for everyone except my back.

* I taught my niece Cassie how to throw a spiral with a football. I don't
know why she wanted to know, but it's one of the few things athletically I
can share with the world, so I was game. We played for a long time.

A lot of times when I come home, I'm overcome by the sheer numbers of
people involved in my rather large family. Today was nice, since it was
broken down by branches of the family tree. These are the more tender
moments, the ones that make you realize family is a very, very good thing
to have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When did you learn how to throw a sprial?

- smoose